In the annals of Philippine History, it is chronicled that the Americans laid the foundations of the country’s educational system.
Thus, it was thru the efforts of the American servicemen that the first schools in Bulacan were opened in 1900 in their desire to be understood by the natives of the province. The first classes were housed in big rented private residences according to Francisco Calalang who authored the book History of Bulacan (1971).
Grades one to seven were offered as elementary course in the school put up in barrio Tibag in Baliuag with Mr. Guy Clinton as the first principal. Mr. William A. Prequitt was cited as Bulacan’s first school superintendent in 1901 in the accounts made by Don Antonio Bautista as published in Ang Malolos sa Dahon ng Kasaysayan by Jose P. Santos. It becomes conclusive that the institution or office which is now called Department of Education (Division Office) was established in that year, 1901.
It is of interest to mention that the secondary course, with offering of the first year course, was opened in 1906 when Mr. H.A. Bordner took the stewardship of the schools as Division Superintendent. The secondary school was later transferred to Malolos.
The Education Office was first housed in what became the Bulacan Prison House or LEX. After a few months, it was transferred to Bulacan High School, now Marcelo H. del Pilar High School, near the Capitol Building. It is said that the Department of Education, Division of Bulacan was officially established under a Republic Act promulgated sometime in 1945. In 1965, the Office was transferred to the Provincial Capitol Building. Through the concerted efforts of the Bulacan MECS (Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports) Family, the Office was housed in the Bulacan Public School Teachers Association Building in 1967 to 1981. During this period, the Central Office changed name, from MECS to DECS (Department of Education Culture and Sports). Finally, the Division Office building was constructed and was completed in July, 1982. Since then, it occupied the same edifice, when, in year 2002, DECS was changed to Department of Education (DepED), with DepEd Bulacan Family continuously extending the comforts and services it can fully offer to all its clienteles.